Tuesday, August 18, 2015

TOTR: My Running Heroes!

Welcome back for another edition of Tuesdays on the Run hosted by Erika, April, and Patty! Today's topic is Runners Who Inspire Me.


When thinking about runners that inspire me I can't help but think about elites like Kara Goucher, Shalane Flanagan, Lauren Fleshman and more. I also can't help but think about runners that may not be as well known to the average everyday person, but are well known in their field like Nicole DeBoom, Dimity McDowell and Sara Bowen Shea from Another Mother Runner, and more. And there are those that led the way so that women could participate in sports today like Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to run the Boston Marathon that I wrote a post about earlier this year. I also think about all the great people I know through various groups such as my Skirt Sports sistahs, Coach Jenny Hadfield's Challenge Group, Sweat Pink Ambassadors, and more.

In other words, inspiring runners are in abundance and can be found just about anywhere I look!

But, I have to say that the runners that TRULY inspire me are the underdog runners. The ones that don't fit the "running mold". The ones that are 80 and still running. The ones that don't find running to be the easiest thing but keep going out there and pushing just a little bit harder.

I'm sure you've seen them at races. They are usually at the very back and sometimes they are crossing the finish line long after the majority of people have gone home.

Rick and Dick Hoyt

Jimmy Jenson that was the first runner with Down Syndrome to cross the finish line of the NYC Marathon in 2013.


The blind runners and their partners like Scotty Smiley and his race partner and brother-in-law, Andy Cooper.


These are the runners that amaze and inspire me! I can find inspiration in so many places, but I truly do root for the underdog! Running isn't easy for me and I'm not a natural athlete. But anytime I want to complain about my pace or my abilities or pull a woe is me moment, I don't have to look far to find someone that is not just fighting through their own lazy brain syndrome (like I am 90% of the time) but is fighting through insurmountable odds to accomplish a dream.



Why yes, my excuse is invalid. It most definitely is. But thankfully, the inspiration I get from all these amazing runners that are my running heroes, is usually enough to get past whatever invalid excuses I have!

Question: Who are your running (or other life) heroes? Who provides you with the inspiration you need to keep going through tough situations?

Don't forget to stop by any of the hosts pages to visit the other posts about inspirational runners!


12 comments:

  1. So many, and so many of the ones you named.

    Another of my heroes is John Bingham, to be sure, because he makes it fun to be a penguin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! John Bingham is awesome - I could not agree more!! :-)

      Delete
  2. This was a great post! We all need this reminder. Every runner is awesome! We are all out there running with our own story. Gosh, my hurt gushes for that boy with the huge smile and prosthetic legs. Look how happy he is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it - I don't even look that happy when I run and I have two perfectly fine legs! He's amazing!!!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful and thoughtful post! The Hoyts are so inspiring (as well as all of your other runners!). Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving the Tuesdays on the Run, April! Thanks for stopping by and reading!! :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reminding me of the inspiration all around us! When I struggle during a run, I often think of those who want to run, but can't. It reminds me that running is a gift that I shouldn't take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is definitely a gift!!! It doesn't always feel like it during, but it does when I'm all done with a workout! LOL

      Delete
  5. Lovely post and great choices.

    Thanks for joining the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Runners like the child in your final picture are so inspiring to me! I watched the Army 10-Miler a few years ago, and seeing a lot of military with prosthetics was amazing. There really is no excuse when you witness that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can only imagine, Amanda!! I would be a ball of tears watching those soldiers run! I saw a blind veteran at the inaugural Tinkerbell back in 2012 and just totally lost it after congratulating him on a wonderful job. And yes - there really is NO excuse when you see runners that are truly overcoming obstacles! <3

      Delete