Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Hodgepodge, Potpourri, Call it What You Will...

I have such a variety of information I want to share with you guys so I'm just going to kinda do a little brain dump this morning.



Motivation...That Fickle Friend
I wrote a post for the FitApproach team the other day discussing motivation and how she can be such a fickle friend always disappearing when you need her most. But when you couple her with your "girl squad" of Consistency and Accountability that Motivation will want to hang around a lot more often. You can check it out in its entirety by clicking the link or picture above.



SunRype Prize Pack Giveaway
Don't forget that you still have time to enter the SunRype Prize Pack giveaway that is going through this Sunday, August 23rd! Lots of great 100% fruit snacks, a visor and a tote bag are up for grabs...don't miss out on your chance to #tastethesun!


Skirt Sports Virtual Boobie Run
Join Skirt Sports for a Virtual Run that is all about the "girls"! You can run it anytime really, but the actual date is September 12, 2015. You can choose to run 8k (just under 5 miles) or 8 miles - you choose the route, you get your girlfriends together, and you run for a great cause! Plus, with your registration you get a voucher for $70 to purchase a new bra so your girls are supported for every run and activity. And here's the really awesome part - you can use SSPQL20 for 20% off of the registration! Registration is normally $60, but with the discount it is only $48 AND you get the $70 voucher...so really, you are MAKING money by registering for this race!!! (And yes, I use that justification with my husband on a regular basis...LOL). Post your pics to social media using the hashtag #REALwomenmove and #skirtsports and share the love for the ta-ta's! Don't forget that when you use the #REALwomenmove hashtag you are also helping new runners get started through the Skirt Sports Kick Start program so that's like a HUGE bonus to using that hashtag. It's a win-win!!


Are there too many races?
I read the article (click the link to read) recently in the print version of Running Times and found it very interesting. It appears that more and more cities are starting to look at limiting the number of races that they issue permits for because they could potentially have a race every weekend or multiple races on a single weekend especially in areas that are considered "active" such as Denver Colorado. On the one hand I love that there are so many options available and that running is experiencing such a boom! On the other hand, I do understand the frustration of people living in these areas with streets getting shut down, or you have that other trend of races getting cancelled last minute because companies go under or because they didn't meet their registration quota.

Question: What do you think? Are there too many races in your opinion?

8 comments:

  1. I'm excited for the Boobie run! Wish I would have had the coupon when I signed up,but oh well :) I don't mind supporting quality companies. I love the bra I got with my gift card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! Just know that you can use that discount code on any other items you get from Skirt too! :-) Which bra did you get? I love my Kelly bra and will be getting a Zip 'em Up one soon too.

      Delete
  2. I think there can be too many races depending on the city. If it's a big city, you need to consider how much it will affect people getting around. I ALWAYS check before planning a vacation or long weekend to make sure there isn't some big race (of any kind) or festival going on after a frustrating trip to Indianapolis being shut down for a bike race. Driving in a new city is hard enough without all the detours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely - big cities really do need to think about it. It's funny because the day I posted this my husband had lunch with his boss who was complaining about the need to move out of Temecula (a town that is nearby) because he's tired of how every. single. weekend there is some kind of event going on that makes getting around impossible. So it's not just races but festivals, wine tours, car shows, etc. That would get to be a bit much. I'm curious to see what is going to happen over the next several years...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info on the Boobie Run. Will definitely be signing up! As a runner, there can never be too many races, but as a race director, I know that resources to come in to play. Quite the dilemma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Hope you have a fabulous virtual Boobie Run! And how cool that you're a race director!! I can only imagine how much work goes into coordinating a race...I am in awe of those of you that do - keep it up and just know that we runners appreciate all of your efforts! :-)

      Delete
  4. Too many races is definitely NOT something our little Burg is plagued with. But, I can see where if we sponsored many large races it could get really tedious. We are also greatly blessed to have a great site for races that doesn't interfere with city traffic at all. We are also lucky to be surrounded by many very nearby locations who offer a variety of races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we definitely DO NOT have this problem locally. HA! Glad that we do have lots of options nearby though - need to get registered for HHHR here pretty soon. It's coming up fast...Did you see the medal on Facebook? AMAZING this year!!!

      Delete