Thursday, July 9, 2015

Fuel Your Fire!


FitApproach has asked the Sweat Pink bloggers to share how they fuel up for working out. I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited to read what others have to say about this because even though I've been running solid for 6 years I STILL don't know that I have fueling properly down. It's confusing, ya'll!!!

Here's what I do know right at this moment.

I know a lot of articles actually suggest having a cup of coffee prior to running, but I have to say that if I do indulge in the java before heading out, it is a sure thing that I will have to pee ridiculously bad within a few miles. If I skip the coffee before heading out, I very rarely even THINK about having to stop and use the restroom. So I've definitely learned that I can't fuel a run with coffee unless I want to pee every two miles.

GU Chomps are my absolute favorite energy chew. I'm still getting the timing down on when to take them and how often, but I seriously LOVE how they taste. I could eat them like candy, as a matter of fact (Something I have NOT done because I fear that once I did I could never go back...).

I ingested so much of this stuff during marathon training last summer that I don't know if I will ever want to have another packet again (specifically, Salted Caramel). I had a few left and attempted to use them earlier this year and just one taste and I wanted to vomit or die, or maybe both. I ended up handing them off to Mom & Sister. Know this - whatever your preferred fuel is you probably will want to mix the flavors up some. Too much of a good thing and all...

So that's what I currently know about fueling. I told you, it's not much. So what am I doing to fuel at the moment?

BEFORE
If it's a weekday run I won't have anything before except for some water and maybe a GU chomp or two if I happen to have some left in a package laying open. I may only do that for the simple excuse that I absolutely love them though (see above item and eating them like candy). If it's a long run I will wake up and eat my normal bowl of cereal, which has been Frosted Mini-Wheats for quite some time now. I seriously think I could eat them until I die and never tire of them.

Mmmmmm...Delicious!!


DURING
I carry good ol' H2O with me on every run, so on a short easy run during the week I will simply sip on water as needed. On the long runs I have been doing the GU Chomps and ingest 4 about every 45 minutes or so. I suck so bad at running I couldn't tell you if they are working or not because I get tired and lazy and don't want to finish and start fighting the stupid lazy brain anyways so is that because I'm not fueling right or just because I suck at running? I have no idea. What I do know is that being able to eat some delicious GU Chomps in the middle of a totally sucky run is a nice distraction. After all, I may not have mentioned this yet, but I could eat them like candy!!! ;-)  I really feel like I have to become a better runner to know if fueling is even working. I know that nailing down my nutrition would probably make me a better runner, but I still struggle with this.

AFTER
Weekdays I have my normal breakfast (aforementioned Mini-Wheats) and my cup of coffee. After a long run I will usually eat another bowl of cereal as a snack and then follow it up a little bit later with a lunch that has some substantial protein in it depending on what is around the house. I have to admit that I don't plan this out very well and this could be part of my overall problem. I know that last summer when I was marathon training I had to eat something salty soon after my run otherwise I would get a headache. I'm sure this means something important, like maybe my electrolyte balance is off and I need to do some alternate hydration during runs like that, but remember how I told you that this whole thing is confusing? Yeah...that. I always "plan" on having a protein shake, but rarely remember to actually have one. I seriously suck at this whole fueling thing...don't say I didn't warn you! LOL

Mmmmm...salty goodness! Lay's Kettle Baked Chips were my fave salty choice last summer.

So that's what I'm doing to fuel and I hate to tell you guys that I'm probably not a lot of help if you're looking for what works. HA! I seriously think that I could run for a million more years and fueling my run will still be confusing to me. I often think about hiring a coach that does fueling and regular training and I really want Vinnie, my Garmin, to be able to be programmed with fueling intervals to remind me when it's time to take more in. Why don't the Garmins do this yet??? No really, I want to know...

I have read one book that I felt was VERY informative and when I get around to getting it back from my sister (ahem...), I would actually like to read it again. I think following the fueling plan in this book might make an impact, or at the very least, I would like to give it a solid try and see what happens.


So there you have it - that's what I'm doing, but I certainly know that what I'm doing could be done a whole heckuva lot better!!! So guess what? I'm going to keep working at it and trying different things until I feel like an expert on my fueling plan! Because that's all part of the fun, right?

How do YOU fuel before, during and after? I wanna know...

1 comment:

  1. I love Matt Fitzgerald!

    I love nutrition, constantly tinker, read about it . . . and am still confused. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete