Tuesday, December 23, 2014

One Little Word for 2015



I've mentioned before about how I choose a word to live throughout each year - it's kind of a mantra, or intention, or you could even call it a one-word resolution, I suppose. It's just a basic idea of what I want to speak over my life during the year. Sometimes they are super powerful and I live and breathe them repeatedly; other times they quietly lurk in the background and make subtle appearances every once in a while. I haven't blogged all of them but here they are:

2010: Peace
2011: Quality
2012: Strength
2013: Light
2014: Courage

My strongest years were 2010, 2012, and 2014 and I will freely admit that in 2011 and 2013 I intentionally picked words that might be considered "easier" because I was so rocked by the previous year. But at the same time, they were what I needed at that time and I lived them throughout the year even if they weren't "knock you on your butt" powerful. They were who I was at that point in time.

This year my word kind of jumped out and surprised me. It's like it was waiting around the corner and then jumped out and said SURPRISE - I'm your word for the year!!! I know you never thought of me, but I'm it so you can quit looking now. Dexter fans, you'll know what my word really said when you look at this image:


Man, I still miss the early Dexter seasons...*sigh*...Anywhoo...my word surprised me, but once it made itself known I knew without a doubt that it was it. I really could stop "looking" because it was here NOW. And that's it - NOW.


As in, be present in the NOW - quit thinking about where you were, and what worked, five years ago and find where I am now. Find what works for me now. Be present in the moment. Live my life - the one that is here now. Stop thinking about five days from now, or five years from now, or five years before. Think about NOW and be in this moment because I'll never get it back. Tomorrow will bring a whole new set of NOW, but today has NOW waiting to be lived.


I was a better runner several years ago than I am right now, but that doesn't mean I can't be the best runner I can be NOW. I was a better eater several years ago, but that doesn't mean I can't be the best eater I can be NOW. I've always been a pretty good wife and mother, but I also want to be the best wife and mother I can be right NOW. Each day we are given is a gift and I don't want to miss a single one of them not striving to be the best person I can be because I'm so caught up in who I want to be in some far off future, or who I was in some distant past.


I am thankful for who I am right now, but I'll keep fighting to be even better in the next now I'm given.


I've always talked about how pointless it is to have regrets in life because all of our experiences shape who we are; and I continue to hold strong to that point. It's absolute truth...one of the truest things I think we can come to grips with. And choosing the word NOW as my One Little Word for 2015 is really taking ownership of that concept and that quote above really says it: "I am grateful for always this moment, THE NOW. No matter what form it takes." ~ Eckhart Tolle

That's the hardest thing to grasp sometimes - the second part of that quotey goodness - no matter what form it takes. I know that appreciating NOW this coming year isn't always going to be easy. I'm setting myself up for a very challenging early part to the year by taking not just one class, but TWO. And not just taking an easy class, but taking two difficult ones: Math AND English. Math is most definitely NOT my strong point. English is not as scary, but we're still talking lots and lots of writing. It's going to be challenging to take on basically a 3/4 load at school, full-time work, full-time family, and health and fitness thrown in. Appreciating the NOW is going to take on a very different meaning. LOL

The second part of my word NOW is actually making now where I button down and say enough is enough...eating all the food and slacking on my fitness is not getting me closer to my goals but is instead pushing me further and further away from them.

#truth
So no more thinking about the future or longing for the past...the time is NOW.



Here's the link to my Pinterest board for Now - OLW 2015 which I will update throughout the year as I come across items that pertain to it.

I'm ready to get in the now of today, are you?

Do you choose a word for the year? Please share with me in the comments if you do! I absolutely LOVE hearing people's words or intentions for the year. 


2 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw Doakes I heard "surprise mother f'er!" LOL Man seasons 1-4 were amazing!

    Great word and I have no doubt you will rock it.

    I think my word for this year is 'savor.' From little moments to food to exercise to life in general. We tend to rush through far too much in life trying to fit it all in and I need to remember to savor every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savor is an AWESOME word!!!! I like it!! :-) And you're right from your earlier comment...it is similar to mine in that it is just appreciating the moments. Cheers to 2015! Let's make it our best year yet!

    ReplyDelete